Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Today, I tried to install Git on my Ubuntu machine and during that I received following exception related to locking. In my this post, I have shared all commands and error messages with you.


Command
sudo apt-get install git

Error Message
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?



After searching above message, I found a command

sudo lsof /var/lib/dpkg/lock

after pressing ENTER, it might asked you for password. Type the password and in result you might get following output

lsof: WARNING: can't stat() fuse.gvfsd-fuse file system /run/user/1000/gvfs
      Output information may be incomplete.
COMMAND    PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF   NODE NAME
unattende        1468 root    5uW  REG    8,1        0 154817 /var/lib/dpkg/lock

Type following command to kill the session with provided PID by your system. In my case PID # was 1468. I use following command to kill this process id.

sudo kill 1468

After execution of above statement, now I was able to download GIT by using following command again which I executed in start.

sudo apt-get install git

In case if this article helps you then please leave a comment to increase its credibility.

Thanks.

1 comment:

Ian said...

Thanks, I recently installed Ubuntu 16.04 and was having the same problem. Googled "Unattende" program error linux and found this blog post.

Your fix worked!

Docker Tutorial

 I have listed all the necessary commands of Docker below. In case if any is missing or if any improvement required, please share in comment...